Subject: Re: Have DOS and NetBSD disk?
To: None <neil@demon.net>
From: Tom Pavel <pavel@MAILBOX.SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/20/1995 14:32:13

> I'd like to have a DOS disk (master)  and a NetBSD disk (slave) however I
> can;t see a way of installing a boot menu for it, has anyone done this?

You need a boot menu program that is able to boot from a 2nd disk.  I
use the BOOTEASY program (available in
ftp.cdrom.com:/pub/FreeBSD/tools/dos-tools/bteasy14.zip) on my system
to boot DOS from wd0 or NetBSD from wd1.  I've heard that the newer
(beta) version of OSBS will also support 2 disks, but I don't know
first-hand.

Another technique is to boot from a floppy.  You can edit the source
code to the boot blocks so that when you boot from the floppy it will
automatically look on wd1 (or whatever) for /netbsd.  But, in general,
I think the floppy approach is less than ideal.

Tom Pavel

Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
pavel@slac.stanford.edu