Subject: Re: dosemu kernel problems
To: None <kstailey@eagle.dol-esa.gov>
From: John Kohl <jtk@atria.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/19/1995 10:52:34

Ken> Dosemu works great, unfortunately the kernel is unstable (panics only
Ken> seem to happen when I'm not running dosemu though.)  I am trying to
Ken> get a serial console set up to do debugging with since the panics
Ken> always happen while X is running.  Somebody said that they have some
Ken> hacks for the KGDB that can make it switch back to text mode on a
Ken> debugger trap.  Do you have any leads on this?  My graphics display is
Ken> based on the Cirrus Logic chipset (Diamond Speed Star Pro.)

(I don't recall if I answered this mail before I went on vacation for
the weekend).  If you look at the pcvt-3.20b24 stuff in the huge glop of
i386 kernel files in the dosemu support tar file on sipb.mit.edu, you'll
see some #ifdef KOLVIR/#ifdef DDB gunk which contains code which was
bodily ripped out of the XF86_Mach32 server (I have a mach32 video
card).  There are also a few other changes sprinkled in other i386 code,
mostly to trigger the forced screen switch at certain events.

You can probably take similar code out of your video card's X server and
cram it into your pcvt.  Hunt down the stuff where it saves and restores
the video card when switching virtual consoles.

==John