Subject: Re: various musings on PCI stuff
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@telstra.com.au>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/18/1995 18:47:56
> Also, whilst I don't have one, Matt Thomas' DEFPA (DEC PCI FDDI driver)
> could be useful, especially since from reading the comments the
> code supports the DEFEI (eisa), and will soon support DEFTA (turbo
> channel). This last one is probably more relevant to port-pmax (we
> have a few 5000/260's with DEFTA's - if only we could run NetBSD
> instead of ULTRIX on them ;) This is probably another of those 'when
> we get around to it' things.

That's DEFEA (EISA).  DEFTA is planned but first I have to port it to
NetBSD/i386.  NetBSD/pmax poses a different issue (due to the incoherency
DMA .vs. MIPS cache) which is actually easier to tackle once it's working
on NetBSD/alpha.  So don't change anything for the DEFPA, please.

> PS: sorry about the 'FreeBSD this' and 'FreeBSD that' tone. It's just
> that they do have slightly more PCI support for the i386 at this time.

More does not mean better.  I'd classify the NetBSD PCI support as a
smidgen better than FreeBSD (from a driver perspective).  The BSD/OS
PCI support is very primitive.

Matt Thomas                          Internet:   matt@lkg.dec.com
U*X Networking                       WWW URL:    http://ftp.dec.com/%7Ethomas/
Digital Equipment Corporation        Disclaimer: This message reflects my
Littleton, MA                                    own warped views, etc.