Subject: Re: various musings on PCI stuff
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@lagavulin.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/18/1995 10:50:28
cgd writes:

> Given that, the user should be told about the devices that the kernel
> doesn't know what to do with.  At minimum, that keeps the problem of
> "i put in device X and the PCI bus is supposed to be autoconfiguring,
> but the kernel said nothing about it!!!"

I agree with this. When I was trying to get the October FreeBSD up
and running on my ASUS PVI-SP3, FreeBSD went and scanned for and
configured 32 devices, even though the chipset was set up for just
16.  This caused a `wrap-around,' where each device was found and
initialised twice. Had I seen nothing but my SCSI controller found
twice, I would have found the problem quite confusing. Seeing two
other (nameless but numbered) devices also initialised twice, each
at bus location (or whatever the heck it is) 16 higher than the
previous one, made the problem pretty clear right off.

It would be handy to get a little more information on the device than
just a number, but I don't think any non-trivial code should be added
to do this.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson    curt@portal.ca		Retrogrouch n. a person who spurns
Internet Portal Services, Ltd.		clipless pedals, and is still dubious