Subject: Re: i386 laptop questions:
To: None <rvb@IGW.TRUST.CS.CMU.EDU>
From: David Brownlee <D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/17/1995 00:50:59
On Fri, 16 Jun 1995 rvb@IGW.TRUST.CS.CMU.EDU wrote:

> I will soon get a Hinote Ultra loaner and might be in a better
> position to advise you.  I use a NEC VERSA E.  I run a may 15 -current.
>
> The suspend resume problem that I saw is a bug in hdcwait(). Below is
> a copy of the code.  The problem is that on "errors" wdcwait returns a
> 1.  Some of the code that calls it; checks for < 0.  vs != 0.  So
> there really is no timeout here.
>
> I have an old ATA spec which is a little bit inconsistent.  If the
> error bit set is really a MEDIA CHANGE, I guess the hardware is
> anticipating that you might have removed the hard drive around
> the suspend/resume.  So this may be a feature.

	I'd like to see someone get the HD out of an Ultra with anything
	short of a crowbar. (I know.. I know.. :)

> NOTE: the inittodr(0) is a gross but really convenient hack.

	Slaps head - & I forgot to mention suspend froze the clock, now
	where _did_ I leave my brain.

> ... code

	Thanks one hell of a lot for that - will try it right now...

> Next:
> I have also seen the seen the Fn+key presses do the wrong thing.  I am
> not sure what is wrong here.

	Under 1.0 I had it coming out of the Fn+F3 setup & leaving the
	NetBSD key broken (Arrg). All the Fn+Fx keys work except F3
	(which does sometimes), tho response is not always instant..

> I can give you a dlink DE600 driver if that helps.
>
> I've seen a 3c589 driver for linux.

	Thanks - Stefan Grefen's pcmcia drivers have a 3c589b driver
	from Ignatious, and he should be moving them to -current RSN,
	so I'll take a copy as & when he does...

> Finally, I'd guess the battery drain is really a hardware problem.
> In suspend/resume the machine should really be off.  I presume that
> the battery normally lasts 2+ hours.  If it drains in 1 hour here
> that would be really strange.

	Under suspend/resume I've had it last 2+ days with _no_
	appreciable battery drain (I was damn impressed by this :)
	I just checked battery charge (83%), closed it up, went away
	for the weekend & opened it up on monday night & did the same
	and 83% again. If I have to make small blood offerings to
	nameless gods every 2 weeks to get this back I'll gladly do it :)

	Thanks a lot for your help, I'm glad I'm using NetBSD!

		David

D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk (MIME)  +44 171 477 8186  {post,host}master   (abs)
Network Analyst, UCS, City University, Northampton Square, London EC1V 0HB.