Subject: Re: various musings on PCI stuff
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/16/1995 16:14:18
> Oh, i forgot to mention: One thing that i'm not likely to do, but
> would be 'correct', is find out exactly where video memory is mapped,
> so that one can let it be mmap()'d reasonably (i.e. not require
> INSECURE, or other weird hackerly; PCI gives you all the info you
> need...)
>
> Actually, i might get to this eventually, but if i do, it'll only be
> once i get some sort of 'reasonable' machine-independent "workstation
> console" configuration code figured out...  graphics console
> possiblities on the Alpha are... mind-boggling...

I played around with such a thing (testing it on a S3 864 based board) until
I figured that XFree86 changes any existing mapping of the board hardwired
to 0xf3000000. This is probably in support of VL-Bus boards, but I haven't
verified that yet (partly, since I'm not on any XFree86 mailing list).

I don't know about the other drivers in XFree86.

Another thing regarding the device not configured message. I don't like these
either, and I'd argue that they should be dropped alltogether.
--
ws@TooLs.DE     (Wolfgang Solfrank, TooLs GmbH) 	+49-228-985800