Subject: Re: com driver once again
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@colwyn.owl.de>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@plexus.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/15/1995 11:46:07
On Thu, 15 Jun 1995, Matthias Scheler wrote:

> Charles M. Hannum said:
> > What, precisely, are you trying to do?
>
> Using "/dev/tty01" WITHOUT an active carrier e.g. to dial out with "chat".

I've been giving this some thought, and I've come to the conclusion that
a few lines of code in pppd, appropriately placed, would solve this problem.

I personally just mark the line as "local" in /etc/ttys, but that can be
antisocial in some environments.

> > The redirection is superfluous and will just cause the shell to hang
> > trying to open the device because there's no carrier.
>
> I still do not understand why you thinks this is the correct behavior.
> I've never seend any operating system blocking the serial devices if
> there's no carrier. Excuse me but I consider this as somehow brain dead.

I've had exactly the opposite experience.  Perhaps you were using modems
(or serial cables!) that had the CD line wired high.  The shell doesn't
know, nor should it know, to set CLOCAL on a serial device when it's
opened because of i/o redirection.

--scott