Subject: NetBSD on notebooks
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@zen.void.oz.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/09/1995 01:19:43
There was some discussion of this recently and I've noted that folk
have reported success with Thinkpads and several other notbooks.

I'm madly shopping around for a notbook for my SO who hates UNIX and
wants windoz etc. but I'm buying it, so it needs to like NetBSD too :-)

The current favorite is a Toshiba T2100CS...
Does anyone have any experience with *BSD on toshiba's?

Now since notebooks are likely not to contain standard devices, I'd
like to compile a kernel that has as many devices as one might expect
to find in a notebook (any not just toshiba) so that I can compare
*BSD friendliness.

I'd appreciate it if folk running NetBSD on notebooks could get in
touch and possibly mail me their configs - with info on what
brand/model etc it is.

I'm afraid that here in Oz the choices are somewhat limited so I'm
mainly interested in name brands (as I'm likely to be able to get
those).

My sources are current as of May 8, are there any patches that I might
need for devices such as built in pointer devices?

Any and all assistance appreciated.

--sjg