Subject: Re: NCR 53C400A
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/31/1995 09:28:03
> is there any reason the NCR PCI scsi driver should/should not work
> with the NCR 53c400A based board HP sells, with its scanners, as "PC
> interface card", once I figure out base adresses and write a isa bus
> frontend for the driver?

There's good reason to believe that it will _NOT_ work.

That reason is that the 53c8xx chips (built around a script-processing
core which i believe is effectively the 53c7xx core) are _completely_
different than the 53c400 chips, which are built around a 53c80 core.

the 53c[78]xx chips are "script processors" while the 53c8x, 53c9x,
and 53c400{,A} are register-access-driven.

the 53c94 drivers in the tree may port relatively easily to the
53c400, but i wouldn't bet on it, because the 53c400 register set
seems ... significantly different than the 53c94's.

chris