Subject: Re: i386 NetBSD-current snapshot now available
To: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.tujunga.ca.us>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/22/1995 07:38:16
> [ Here's the good Adaptec probe info ]
> aha0: 1542C/CF detected, unlocking mailbox
> aha0 at isa0 port 0x330-0x333 irq 11 drq 5
> [ Here's the bogus phantom BusLogic probe info ]
> bt0 at isa0 port 0x330-0x333 irq 11 drq 5 bt0: bt_cmd, cmd/data port full
> : version B.0, bt-127424496: bt_cmd, cmd/data port empty 7
> bt0: bt_cmd, host not idle(0x20)
> async, no parity, 0 mbxs
. bt0 targ 0: sync, offset 1, period 200nsec
> scsibus1 at bt0
> probe(bt0:0:0): timed out
> bt0: not taking commands!
> panic: should call debugger here (bt742a.c)
> hit reset please

> I guess I'm curious as to why the 1.0 kcaha-1.0.fs kernel seems to be able
> to recognize the Adaptec without also thinking there's a BusLogic board at
> the same port/IRQ/DRQ there as well, whereas this -current kernel doesn't?

It's because the 1.0 kernel didn't contain a BusLogic driver (hence kcaha
and kcbt).  Supposedly the drivers were recently changed so they could figure
out which was which, but the unified kernel I tried a month or two back
certainly failed miserably on my 1542B, and it looks like the very latest
can't really hack it, either.