Subject: Re: i386 NetBSD-current snapshot now available
To: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
From: David Maxwell <david@spinne.web.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/22/1995 06:18:15

> > I made a snapshot of NetBSD-current for the i386 yesterday, and I just put it
> > up for FTP at:
> >
> > 	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/i386
>
> Well, now count me in with the "doesn't work for me" crowd.  The kernel from
> the inst-1.0A.fs floppy boots, but it starts seeing double and instead of
> seeing just my Adaptec 1542CF, it claims to see a phantom BusLogic BT742 (I
> guess) at the same port #, IRQ and DRQ.  It then gets real unhappy with not
> being able to find/see anything from this phantom BusLogic card:
>
> bt0 at isa0 port 0x330-0x333 irq 11 drq 5 bt0: bt_cmd, cmd/data port full
> : version B.0, bt-127424496: bt_cmd, cmd/data port empty 7
> bt0: bt_cmd, host not idle(0x20)
> async, no parity, 0 mbxs
> bt0 targ 0: sync, offset 1, period 200nsec
> scsibus1 at bt0
> probe(bt0:0:0): timed out
> bt0: not taking commands!
> panic: should call debugger here (bt742a.c)
> hit reset please

ditto.

> I'm assuming most folks with this model Adaptec would probably be using these
> default(?) Port/IRQ/DRQ settings, so wouldn't this be happening to just about
> everyone?
>
> 	- Greg

I also tested this with various settings for the card, and I got the same
thing in all cases.

Furthermore, I copied the supplied kernel to my 1.0 system, and tried to
boot on it. Same thing, and something's funny with my filesystem now too.
Selecting the old kernel from the boot: prompt won't work, it goes through
checking for devices, then hangs at the end of that. Booting off install
floppies won't let me fsck the drive... Any suggestions?

								David Maxwell
								david@web.net