Subject: Disklabel trashed....
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris Perleberg <pchris@panix.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/20/1995 21:33:14
Hi,

This morning I tried to boot NetBSD (March current) from my hard drive (I use
OS-BS), and I got the error message "No Operating System".  I then booted of
my kernel floppy, and found I couldn't mount my hard drive because of a
"Bad Super-Block".  "Disklabel" displayed only two disk partitions, 'a' and
'd' and displayed other errors......

I have my disk split between NetBSD and MS-DOS.  In the past week I'd been
working with Photoshop pretty intensively, and for the first time on this
disk, used almost all the MS-DOS partition disk space.

Questions:
1)  Where is the disklabel written to disk?
2)  Is it possible that the disklabel was written in the MS-DOS partition,
    and was overwritten once the MS-DOS partition filled up?
3)  What can I do to prevent this problem in the future?
4)  I remember the Free BSD FAQ mentioned something about leaving some
    unallocated disk space outside of the BSD and MS-DOS partitions.  Is
    this necessary?  How many tracks should be left free?

Thanks for any help,

	Chris Perleberg