Subject: Help?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dave Hayes <dave@elxr.jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/19/1995 03:10:13
I'm trying to install NetBSD on an IMAGE NEC P100 (Pentium) onto an IDE drive.

NetBSD reports the disk geometry to be 2099/16/63 (cylinders/heads/sectors).
However, pfdisk.exe (the DOS program you guys have) reports 523/64/63.

If I do the NetBSD install with the cylinders/heads/sectors that NetBSD
gives me, everything goes ok until I try to boot from the hard disk. It
won't boot, saying simply "Read Error".

If I do the install with the c/h/s that pfdisk gives me, NetBSD complains
about "wd0: bad geometry" and some other miscellaneous errors that I don't
remember (but will provide if asked).

What gives? I did everything people told me to do. 8-)
------
Dave Hayes -- Institutional NETworks - Section 394 -- JPL/NASA - Pasadena CA
dave@elxr.jpl.nasa.gov       dave@jato.jpl.nasa.gov         ...usc!elroy!dxh

   The foolish reject what they see, not what they think;
	     The wise reject what they think, not what they see...