Subject: Re: random core dumps when compiling...
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
From: Andre Skarzynski <abs@itu3.sun.ac.za>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/16/1995 08:21:55
Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote :

> >   I then removed the option CYRIX_CACHE_REALLY_WORKS form my kernel, so that
> the
> >That doesn't surprise me at all.  There's a good reason that option is
> >not documented anywhere.
>
> To elaborate: that option is intended for people who have motherboards
> (1) designed *specifically* for DLC-type chips, and (2) which have
> *correct* and *complete* bus-mastering and cache-coherency support in
> the hardware.  If you don't have these, chances are your cache doesn't
> "REALLY_WORK", and you shouldn't have that enabled.

What is interesting, is that my M/B worked fine for some time like this even
building some large source trees and while under heavy load with X running.
I only picked up a problem when building a comprehensive GENERIC kernel for
a new installation... Strange. But now I can sleep better knowing what the
problem was.

Thanks...

--
Andre B. Skarzynski  -- Information Technology, University of Stellenbosch --
abs@itu1.sun.ac.za   ------- Tel: +27 21 8084293 Fax: +27 21 8084102 --------