Subject: Re: How can one lay out a DOS disk so a NetBSD disklabel can live on it?
To: None <earle@isolar.tujunga.ca.us, port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bernd Wiserner <wiserner@atbayer2.informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/12/1995 16:35:30

> OK, this is getting frustrating  :-)
>

> I'm convinced there's gotta be a way for me to boot the INST-10.FS floppy,
> drop out to a shell, and mount an "MS-DOS" only disk temporarily onto /mnt2
> so I can get at this "restore" binary.  I'm sure of it.  It's just escaping
> me right now ...
You need to put a netbsd partition on the disk. NetBSD wants to put its
disklabel only in its own partition or at offset 0. So maybe repartition your disk
leaving one cylinder free ( the last one ... ) then create a Netbsd partition
on it ( maybe using NetBSD-fdisk ) and then create a disktab entry looking like :
slice a <- contains NetBSD partition ( the last cyl. )
slice b < contains nothing
slice c <- contains NetBSD partition ( like a)
slice d <- contains whole disk.
slice e <- contains msdos

> 	- Greg

B.Wiserner