Subject: Recent kernels failing to boot on my Micronics MPower 4 motherboard
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Duncan McEwan <duncan@Comp.VUW.AC.NZ>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/05/1995 16:43:29
A month or so ago, I decided to upgrade from a 1.0 to a current kernel.
I recompiled config.new and gas as advised, and built a kernel with the then
current sources.  The kernel failed to boot -- it wedged sometime during or
shortly after the autoconfiguration (the last message printed was the probe
for the floppy disks).  I don't recall now whether it had found all the other
devices or not.

I supped new kernel sources again last night, and tried again with similar
results.  This time, when the kernel wedges, the pc's speaker emits 3 or 4 5
second high pitched sounds, but as before, the machines appears locked up.
Again the last message printed was the fd probe, but I did notice that all the
devices had been found so perhaps it is getting right through the device probes
and getting wedged later.

I would like some advice on how I can go about tracking this down further; a
brief run-down of the calling sequence of the autoconfiguration code, so I know
where to put some debugging printfs, or perhaps some ddb breakpoints would be
useful.  Any other suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Duncan