Subject: Re: Soundblaster Pro status?
To: None <Mark_Weaver@brown.edu>
From: John Kohl <jtk@atria.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/04/1995 08:47:54
>>>>> "Mark" == Mark Weaver <Mark_Weaver@brown.edu> writes:

Mark> What is the status of the sb driver under NetBSD-current driving a
Mark> Soundblaster Pro (not the 16)?  Do both playback and record work?  Are
Mark> there clicks and/or gaps in the sound during playback or recording?
Mark> Also, can the SB Pro and driver do full duplex?

OK, yes, sometimes, no. :)  To elaborate:

I have a sbpro at home, and it works for me in -current.  Playback and
record do both work, although it's not as simple as "cat </dev/audio" or
"cat > /dev/audio".  (See a recent PR I filed, PR #1006, see summary
below.  Also see the "gross audio tools" I mailed to current-users a
while ago).

You can get clicks or gaps if you don't supply audio data quickly
enough.  You can use ioctls to adjust the buffer sizes to reduce the
clicks.

The SBPro card cannot do full duplex ADC and DAC--it is only
half-duplex.

==John