Subject: Re: DOS IDE disk & DOS/NetBSD SCSI disk - how to boot NetBSD?
To: None <earle@isolar.tujunga.ca.us, port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@andrews.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/03/1995 00:09:19
> If you have an IDE drive that DOS uses for C: and a SCSI drive, how do you
> boot NetBSD?

You disable the IDE in the BIOS and the SCSI becomes C:.. :-)

> With this new setup, I run "OS-BS" and it promptly decides that it is going
> to only modify the boot sector(s?) on the IDE disk, and thus it promptly
> tells me that I have a disk with 1 partition and the other 3 empty, and how
> might I like to set up a boot menu using this one partition?

Just a couple of days ago someone posted about their "boot.com" that
they wrote.  It was a port of the NetBSD bootcode to DOS. It allows
you to boot NetBSD from DOS (i.e. kernel on DOS disk), or just load
the bootcode from DOS.  It is pretty slick, as you can just
say: c:\> boot hd(1,a)/netbsd
This *should* boot your sd0 disk.

Anyway, that is all I can think of.  I heard rumors of a version
of OS-BS that could boot 2nd drives, but I've never seen one.

-Andrew