Subject: Re: DOS IDE disk & DOS/NetBSD SCSI disk - how to boot NetBSD?
To: None <earle@isolar.tujunga.ca.us, port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark P. Gooderum <mark@nirvana.good.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/02/1995 22:47:02
> I immediately ran into this quandary, which must be a FAQ but I searched the
> port-i386 Gopher archives in vain:
>
> If you have an IDE drive that DOS uses for C: and a SCSI drive, how do you
> boot NetBSD?

On i386 the boot partition for NetBSD (and any other OS really) *must*
be on a BIOS addressable drive.

If it's not on the first, you can chain multiple drives with bteasy, if
there are more BIOS addressable drives, bteasy will present a menu with the
next drive, then that drive will boot off the active partition, or present
another menu if its installed on that drive.

If the SCSI drive isn't off a controller with BIOS support, then you're out of
luck.  You have to have a partition with at least the boot blocks and
kernel.  You can even keep the rootfs on the non-BIOS drive with a minor
kernel hack to get it to force mounting the root fs from a particular place.

You can get bteasy in many places, I keep a copy here at
ftp://ftp.good.com//pub/NetBSD/bteasy.tar.
---
Mark