Subject: Re: a problem with pcvt (from current netbsd sources)?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Thomas Eberhardt <thomas@mathematik.uni-Bremen.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/01/1995 22:42:44
On Mon, 1 May 1995, Mike Long wrote:

> >Date: Sun, 30 Apr 1995 21:25:09 -0700 (PDT)
> >From: "M. Tamola" <buckwild@u.washington.edu>
>
> >On Sun, 30 Apr 1995, Charles M. Hannum wrote:
> >
> >>    i have some weird problem with pcvt that does not allow my system to
> >>    reboot.  it goes like this:  i shutdown my machine using either reboot or
> >>    halt, and after shutting down x-windows, the screen goes back to console,
> >>    and then when it is supposed to say "syncing disks...done, etc." it
> >>    instead prints out garbage characters and just hangs.
> >>
> >> That doesn't happen on any of my machines.
> >>
> >> Have you seen this when shutting down after *not running X at all
> >> since the machine booted*?
> >
> >yes, i just booted single user, and then did a reboot.  same hang, only
> >this time, the message came out clear instead of just garbage.
> >furthermore, i really don't know if this is a problem specific to pcvt as
> >i haven't even tried a kernel with pccons (and i really don't have the
>
> It's not pcvt, because I use pccons and I have had similar problems.
> I get the "syncing disks..." message and then nothing else.  It hangs
> even if I sync manually immediately before shutting down with
> 'shutdown -r now'.  I also run X on my machine, with my hacked-up
> aperture driver (diffs posted here recently).

My machine also sometimes hangs with the "syncing disks..." message.
I can then still enter the kernel debugger with ctrl-alt-esc and
"ps" shows that mount_mfs is still there (I use an mfs as /tmp).

/  Thomas Eberhardt <thomas@mathematik.uni-Bremen.de>  \            Moo!  (__)
| Center for Complex Systems and Visualization (CeVis) |_________/--------(oo)
|     University of Bremen, FB 3, Bibliothekstr. 1     |        * |______||\/
\_o_ D-28359 Bremen, Germany, FAX: +49 421 218-4236 _o_/          ^^     ^^