Subject: Re: a problem with pcvt (from current netbsd sources)?
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@ai.mit.edu>
From: M. Tamola <buckwild@u.washington.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/30/1995 21:25:09
On Sun, 30 Apr 1995, Charles M. Hannum wrote:

>    i have some weird problem with pcvt that does not allow my system to
>    reboot.  it goes like this:  i shutdown my machine using either reboot or
>    halt, and after shutting down x-windows, the screen goes back to console,
>    and then when it is supposed to say "syncing disks...done, etc." it
>    instead prints out garbage characters and just hangs.
>
> That doesn't happen on any of my machines.
>
> Have you seen this when shutting down after *not running X at all
> since the machine booted*?

yes, i just booted single user, and then did a reboot.  same hang, only
this time, the message came out clear instead of just garbage.
furthermore, i really don't know if this is a problem specific to pcvt as
i haven't even tried a kernel with pccons (and i really don't have the
time or use for it).  other than when i try to shut down, everything else
on my system works perfectly fine (i think), so it's not really a
problem, just an annoyance (because i have to reach over about three feet
to hit the "reset" button).  although, i guess it could cause problems in
the event of a crash or if i ever wanted to reboot remotely.

any suggestions?

-m