Subject: Re: how reliable is ibcs2 and linux compatibility?
To: Rob Windsor <windsor@pobox.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/29/1995 03:11:34
On Sat, 29 Apr 1995 01:58:17 -0500
 Rob Windsor <windsor@punk.weru.ksu.edu> wrote:

 > > Well, I can run Doom under Linux emulation, and I can run the WordPerfect
 > > 6.0 demo (on local display only) under ibcs2 emulation.  I've been
 >             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 > Did you try setting your DISPLAY variable to the numeric (non-DNS'd) address?

Actually, this is becuase, the last time I checked, running X apps on a
non-local display requires additional glue that we don't have yet.

 > It's a known bug (feature?) that WP/SunOS doesn't do DNS lookups for things
 > such as this.  Netscape (Netscape/SunOS at least) has also started releasing
 > two binaries, one that behaves like this, and one that behaves "normally".

That's probably because they're statically linked against the SunOS C
library, which uses YP (and YP only, once the network is running) for name
lookups.  This, of course, is a problem if your ypserv isn't configured
to do DNS lookups by proxy.

Moffet Field, CA 94035                                 Pager: 415.428.6939