Subject: FreeBSD binary emulation
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dirk Steinberg <Dirk.Steinberg@gmd.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/28/1995 15:33:07
Hi,

I'd like to know if it is possible to run FreeBSD binaries
on NetBSD/i386. I know the a.out format has been changed
several times in NetBSD, not sure about FreeBSD.

A related question: how would one migrate from
FreeBSD to NetBSD? The disklabel and filesystems
should be identical, but the latest NetBSD release
I know of is ancient (1.0) and doesn't boot on my
computer. FreeBSD installs easily.

Can one compile the NetBSD kernel on a FreeBSD
machine? Would it run? How about device numbers?

Thanks for any replies,

	Dirk

Dirk W. Steinberg - German National Research Center for Computer Science (GMD)
Institute for Application-Oriented Software- and Systems Technology   (ISA-NW)
Network Engineering Department  -  Rathausallee 10  -   D-53754 Sankt Augustin
Phone: +49 2241 14-3182 - Fax: +49 2241 14-3038 - Email: Dirk.Steinberg@gmd.de