Subject: Re: console video problems
To: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
From: Jan-Hinrich Fessel <oskar@zappa.unna.Ping.DE>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/26/1995 22:32:43
In message <199504260401.AAA00969@jfwhome.funhouse.com>you write:
->Interesting.  Late last week, after recompiling my kernel I found that
->when X started up, I had nothing but garbage on the screen.  I had been
->with INSECURE turned on (so that /dev/mem would work) and during that
->reboot I forced the graphics card into "mode 0".  I believe there is no

That sane thing happened to me and I proceeded just like you did.
I had no luck recompiling the aprerture driver and so I just reverted to
insecure /sbin/init (instead of insecure kernel, but the effect is the same)

Will there ever be the possibility of running X on i386 without sacrifying
kernel security?

Gruesse
       Oskar

 					Tragbar ist, was nicht herunterfaellt.