Subject: Trapped in os-bs/disklabel/fdisk woes
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@laurin.teuto.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/21/1995 07:29:13
Please Help!

I thaught I knew anything about it, but now after fiddling nearly 24 hours
with dd, bootcode, os-bs, fdisk and disklabel I have to give up.

The plot of a long story:

I've got a new disk. Plenty of space, so I thaught I'll give it DOS partitions
as well. I now have two SCSI disks on an Adaptec 1742 controller. I used the
BIOS' idea of the geometry (32 * 64 * sizeOfDisk) for everything and were
95% successful: I can boot NetBSD-current from hd and mount both DOS
partitions (one on each disk). I can boot DOS from floppy and access both
DOS partitions :-)

What I want: boot via os-bs (ore something like it) both system from hd.

The problem: my current fdisk layout tells os-bs that my NetBSD partition
starts at offset 0. My disklabel tells NetBSD to start on cylinder later
at offset 2048, because I thaught I might need some safe place for the
NetBSD bootcode. If I disklabel the disk (and then fixup the fdisk partitions
again) I can't boot NetBSD using os-bs (version 1.35 from sun-lamp). I can
boot DOS from hd using os-bs. If I try something smart and let fdisk's idea
of the NetBSD partition start at some other offset (where I later would transfer
the boot code to that offset) I can't get a valid disklabel on the disk.

In other words: I can't let fdisk's idea of my NetBSD partition start at
offset 0 because I won't be able to boot it via os-bs then. I can't let
fdisk's idea of my NetBSD partition start at some other offset because
I don't have a valid disklabel then.

I don't understand this - disklabel's shouldn't have anything to do with
MBR's and dos partitions.

What am I doing wrong? Is this documented somewhere?

Help please!

Martin

--
"These are the people who popularized Hungarian notation, yet their own API
is a Freudian stream-of-consciousness."   -- Paul DiLascia