Subject: ATAPI CD-ROM
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Phillip F. Knaack <flipk@ncremp.ag.iastate.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/19/1995 13:58:22
Greetings:

Two things:

Some desire has been expressed in my office to access the ATAPI IDE
CD-ROMs on some of our machines from NetBSD, and I have been asked to
find a way.

Has anyone been working on this type of driver, and if so, what is the
state of it? If not, what would be required for someone like myself to
begin work on it? What is the interest in this type of driver?

And finally, sometime in the future we would like to plug in one of
those multi-CD drive arrays (on the order of maybe 20 drives or so)
to serve a specialized database.

I would assume that most of these things are SCSI or proprietary, though
I have to admit quite a lot of ignorance in that area. Are things like
this easily supportable in NetBSD? Any specific types / models that
are recommended / discouraged?

I would appreciate reviews / information from anyone having experience in
this area.

BTW the hardware I'm working with are two identical Gateway P90's / 16M /
PCI EIDE / Sanyo S1G 4x ATAPI 1.2 CD-ROM on secondary IDE controller.

Any information appreciated.

Cheers,
Phil