Subject: Re: Problems with ed Ethernet driver
To: Scott Mitchell <rsm1@borg.cs.waikato.ac.nz>
From: alphaepsilon <aellwood@mit.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/18/1995 09:32:27
>However, when I boot off wd1, into single- or multi-user, as soon as I
>ifconfig ed0 I get
>
>        ed0: NIC memory corrupt - invalid packet length 0

>>fdc0 at isa0 port 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2
>>fd0 at fdc0 drive 0: 1.44MB 80 cyl, 2 head, 18 sec
>>ed0 at isa0 port 0x280-0x29f iomem 0xd0000-0xd1fff irq 9: address
>>    00:00:c0:1f:5e:12, type WD8003E (8-bit)

Whee!  It's this bug again!

You only have 1 floppy drive, right?  Borrow another one or get
someone to build you a GENERICAHA that only has one floppy drive
configured (actually having one of those in the utils directory might
be nice since a lot of new computers only come with floppy drive...)

The ed0 error is because the kernel you are booting with has a fd0 and
an fd1 driver configured.  The fd1 driver misconfigures (somehow) your
ethernet card.

This will probably fix your problems...

Alexandra Ellwood
(aellwood@mit.edu)