Subject: Re: Where did GENERICAHA and GENERICBT go?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Terry Moore <tmm@databook.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/17/1995 10:26:33
> However, the generic kernel is, well...
> "larger" than it used to be.  8-)
>
> it'll need to be trimmed (severely) to fit on a floppy.

One suggestion.... when installing NetBSD/x86, I put the "real" kernel
on a tar floppy.  I run copykernel, reboot, then replace the kernel
on the hard drive with the tar diskette image.  This would require
one more diskette, but gets around the "initial kernel is too limited"
problem.

By the way: has anyone looked into making the x86 floppy driver as
intelligent as the one in the BIOS (i.e., limited verification of
the type of operation vs. the drive)?  I made the mistake of using
/rfd0c instead of /rfd0a the other day -- force of habit.  Data
was silently trashed, of course.  [If I understand things aright,
/rfd0a is for 1.44M diskettes, and /rfd0c is for 360K diskettes
in 1.2M drives.  On SunOS 4.1.x, /rfd0c is what one wants...  A bit nasty,
this.]

--Terry