Subject: Re: PS/2 Mouse on no-name laptop.
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.medford.ma.us>
From: David Carrel <carrel@cisco.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/11/1995 19:39:45
------- =_aaaaaaaaaa0

> It has a detachable PS/2 mouse (well, trackball).
>
> It's running a -current kernel (as of last week or so), with pms0 and
> vt0 configured.  The pms.c driver has the following RCS tag:
> /*	$NetBSD: pms.c,v 1.19 1995/01/07 22:48:29 mycroft Exp $	*/
>
> If the mouse is plugged in when the pms0 device is configured, the
> kernel doesn't see any keyboard input (caps lock and num lock don't
> work either..)

I had a similar but opposite problem with my Gateway 2000 Liberty laptop.
If I configured the PMS driver into the kernel, it would cause the BIOS to
think that there was an external keyboard plugged into the external
mouse/kbd connector and the main keyboard would not work.  I have NOTHING
plugged into the external port.  The following patch fixes this problem for
me.

Dave

------- =_aaaaaaaaaa0

*** pms.c.orig	Tue Apr 11 19:31:47 1995
--- pms.c	Sun Mar 26 11:40:14 1995
***************
*** 166,172 ****
--- 166,174 ----
  	if (ia->ia_iobase != 0x60)
  		return 0;

+ #ifndef GATEWAY_LAPTOP
  	pms_dev_cmd(PMS_RESET);
+ #endif
  	pms_aux_cmd(PMS_MAGIC_1);
  	delay(1000);
  	x = inb(PMS_DATA);
***************
*** 246,252 ****
--- 248,256 ----
  	struct pms_softc *sc = pmscd.cd_devs[PMSUNIT(dev)];

  	/* Disable interrupts. */
+ #ifndef GATEWAY_LAPTOP
  	pms_dev_cmd(PMS_DEV_DISABLE);
+ #endif