Subject: Re: panics with X running
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@ensta.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/05/1995 17:42:07
John Kohl <jtk@atria.com> writes:

> Kenneth> When X is running and I get a panic the video does not go back
> Kenneth> to text mode.  ...
> Kenneth> Is it possible to hack ddb to switch to text mode on a panic?
>
> Yes, it's possible, and I've done it in the past for an et4000 board and
> for a Mach32 board.  It's quite disgusting, because you essentially need
> to cut&paste X server cleanup code into your kernel, and your kernel
> then becomes specific to the video card in use.
>
> ==John

Using the pcvt driver, you can switch from X to text mode, if you have an X
server running on one vt an another vt still in text mode. I think that
pcvt does the job, but i don't know if it is dependent from the video
card.

--
Manuel Bouyer, Ecole Nationale Superieure de Techniques Avancees, Paris
email: bouyer@ensta.fr