Subject: Re: panics with X running
To: Kenneth Stailey <kstailey@leidecker.gsfc.nasa.gov>
From: Hellmuth Michaelis <hm@hcswork.hcs.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/05/1995 10:04:44
>From the keyboard of Kenneth Stailey:

> When X is running and I get a panic the video does not go back to text
> mode.

There is a discussion on this subject on the freebsd-hackers list currently.

A short term solution would be to disable DDB in case an X server is running
and dump to disk immediately.

Another solution would be (if it were possible) to call the BIOS to re-init
the text mode, but as Thomas Roell pointed out, there are still some problems
with this approach.

The only solution i see right now is to use a serial console.

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis        GFKT HCS Computertechnik GmbH        Hamburg, Europe
                     We all live in a yellow subroutine, yellow subroutine ...