Subject: Re: NCSA httpd1.3, Netscape1.1b, non-networked NetBSD Machine
To: None <kstailey@leidecker.gsfc.nasa.gov>
From: Chris Perleberg <pchris@panix.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/04/1995 10:13:33
> > > Netscape is probably looking for a foreign URL by default.  Did you try
> > > specifying a local one on the command line?
> >
> > Just tried that, and netscape came up "frozen" with the clock mouse
> > pointer.  I believe the problem is that somehow I have to establish
> > an IP address <---> Host name relationship, and I'm not sure how to
> > configure this.  I have made an entry for the hostname (using the
> > "localhost" IP address) in the /etc/hosts file, but I'm pretty sure
> > this isn't enough to make things work.  Anybody know how to do this
> > configuration?

Turns out that it works fine when I specify the machine's default IP address
in the URL: http://127.0.0.1/index.html.  That avoids the translation problem.

> I remember that "auis" did this to me back when I didn't have a
> network card.  I worked around it by putting a slip interface
> together.

As someone suggested, it looks like I have to use a loopback interface
("man lo"), which seems to be called "loop" in the kernel configuration
file.  It is enabled in my configuration, yet no device seems to exist in /dev.
There isn't any "lo" or "loop" in the MAKEDEV file.  Anyone know how I can
set up this device?  Once I have the loop device, I guess I can set up a
/etc/hostname.loop configuration file....

> Alternatively, but ugly, you can add your hostname to the localhost
> entry in /etc/hosts:
>
> 127.1           localhost myhost

I tried this but it didn't seem to work.

Thanks for all the help.  I'm learning a lot of SysAdmin stuff by doing this.

	Chris Perleberg
	pchris@panix.com

PS: NCSA httpd1.3R was much easier to compile/configure successfully on NetBSD
    than on Solaris2.3..... :-)