Subject: PS/2 Mouse on Gateway
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris Perleberg <pchris@panix.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/02/1995 01:29:33
Hi,
	I'm having a few difficulties getting a PS/2 mouse to work with
XFree86 on my Pentium90 Gateway machine with the Gateway Anykey Keyboard,
working with NetBSD-current from the March 25 tarfiles.
When I start up X with "startx", a few x-terms appear as well as a clock, and
the mouse cursor is in the center of the screen.  As soon as I touch the
mouse, the cursor gets stuck in the upper right hand corner of the screen,
and movements of the mouse cause the X background menu to flick open and
close in that corner, too fast to actually select any of the options.

I checked the code in pms.c (the PS/2 mouse driver) and it mentioned that
the PS/2 mouse uses the same I/O ports as the keyboard.  This made me think
that the problem may be related to the famos Gateway keyboard delay, so
I went into pms.c and pccons.c and doubled all the delays.  But the behavior
remained the same.

When I do "cat </dev/pms0", I do get characters when I move the mouse.  I
may be wrong, but it seems to me that the characters generated are the same
for orthagonal movements (e.g up movement and left movement generate the
same characters [that may be a right movement... ;-]).

Many thanks for any help,

	Chris Perleberg
	pchris@panix.com