Subject: strange floppy behavior
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG, port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rafal Boni <r-boni@uiuc.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/31/1995 12:35:02
It seems that wierd things are afoot at the circle-F (that's F as in floppy
driver on the i386).

I just rebuilt my trusty network-problem-solving floppy (contains kernel
with enough stuff to run tcpdump on just about any of our machines) and
it BREAKS horribly!

The 3 machines I tried it on are all Gateway-2K's (one 486-DX50, one a
DX2-50 and one a DX2-66).  Here's what happens:

	I boot the floppy, hit return at the boot-block prompt [using ver
	1.27] and the kernel loads.  On two machines, *no* floppy devices
	are seen, whereas on the third, only drive 1 (the 2nd drive) is
	seen.

	Then:  on the machine that sees the 2nd drive, fd0 now mirraculously
	becomes the 2nd drive and the kernel tries to mount root from that,
	failing in a timeout and panic, since there is no floppy there.  On
	the machine that sees neither drive, it panics immediately.

	The kernel is built with options GENERIC and swap generic, and none
	of the hard drives in question have a BSD partition, in case it
	makes any difference.

						Help!
							--rafal

| In search of the stress-strain relationship governing  |/|       Rafal Boni |
| students of mechanics... Experimentally.               |\|  r-boni@uiuc.edu |