Subject: Questions about PS/2-mouse driver, XFree86 lossage, 21040-enet
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jon Cargille <jcargill@cs.wisc.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/30/1995 14:47:10
I'm having a bit of trouble with the ps/2 busmouse driver in
NetBSD-1.0...  After building a kernel which includes the ps2 driver,
it appears to be recognized by the probe; however, when I try to
access it (cat < /dev/pms0), I don't see any data and the system
appears to hang (^C,^Z, etc won't quit that command).  Any suggestions
on why that might be happening?  (I need to get this busmouse workin
ASAP, so that NetBSD gets a fair shake; we're evaluating
NetBSD/Linux/Solaris for use on a bunch of PCs in our department...)

Also, I'm seeing something strange with the X binaries (3.1.1) for
NetBSD-1.0; the server starts up, but the first xterm it tries to
start dies with "xterm: no ptys available", and then the Xserver
exits.  Does anyone know how to fix this?  The default kernel had 32
ptys, and they _can't_ all in use on an idle, un-networked machine...

Finally, has anyone worked on pulling the driver for Dec 21040-based
PCI ethernet cards from FreeBSD over to NetBSD?  I may do so, but
thought I'd avoid duplicating work if it's already been done.

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Jon