Subject: Install/Bootup/MS-DOS problems
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris Perleberg <pchris@panix.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/27/1995 00:11:10
Hi,
	After a weekend of playing (struggling?) with geometries, pfdisk,
fdisk, and disklabel, I finally have NetBSD nearly stalled.  I only have
two problems left:

1) I can't boot from the HardDrive.  When trying to boot from
   wd(0,a)/netbsd, an error appears "invalid format".  The NetBSD
   boot program then automatically tries wd(0,a)/netbsd.old and
   wd(0,a)/onetbsd which can't be found.  However, if I enter
   fd(0,a)/netbsd, I can boot from the floppy and can later mount the
   hard drive partitions.  I tried doing "copy_kernel" a few times, and
   copied the kernel by hand, but no dice.

2) I made the MS-DOS partition one of the partitions of the disk label to
   keep NetBSD from trashing it upon writing the bootable disk label.  But
   when I try to mount the MS-DOS partition, I get the following:

   % mount /dev/wd0f /mnt/msdos
   /dev/wd0f on /mnt/msdos: Incorrect super block.
   %

Thanks for any help,

	Chris Perleberg

PS: It's an incredible feeling to actually have BSD running (well, almost)
    on my home PC..... :-)