Subject: First stage boot trouble
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jon Cargille <jcargill@cs.wisc.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/17/1995 18:16:38
I'm having a problem with the first-stage boot in NetBSD-1.0.

I was installing on a DECpc (XL 950 or somesuch); it's a pentium with
an NCR 53c810 SCSI controller.

The installation went fine, with only one problem; after the install
was done, the machine won't boot from the hard-drive (it prints "Read
error" and stops).

If it boot from the kc-floppy, and type sd(0,a)/netbsd then it boots
up just fine.

For the record, I installed NetBSD on the whole disk, so it's using
the "fake" BIOS partition table; that means it thinks the NetBSD
partition starts on (cyl 0,sec 1,hd 0); my understanding was that the
whole-disk install should alleviate most geometry translation
problems.

I also tried re-writing the boot blocks after booting from the hard
drive (via floppy), in case the original boot blocks were hosed due to
a bad installation floppy; no difference, though.

I checked out the -current sources for bootsd/sdboot; those have a
number of changes, but none that were obviously related to the trouble
I'm having...

Has anyone seen this problem before?  Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot,

Jon