Subject: Re: setting the time
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brian Noble <bnoble@cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/03/1995 12:30:37
VaX#n8  <vax@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu> wrote:

>This reminds me; my friend has a Compaq pentop computer, and when he puts
>it in standby, the kernel's time idea becomes very different than the
>actual time value :) Other than that, it works OK.  In fact, it's less
>likely to crash when suspending under NetBSD than DOOM. :)
>--
>VaX#n8 (vak-sa-nate) - n, CS senior++ and Unix junkie - vax@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
>Information Freedom Fighter                           - PGP key on request

When sleeping/in standby, the kernel isn't recieving timer interrupts,
and so the internal clock isn't being updated.  You can run a program
upon waking that resets it by reading the hardware clock, or if your
platform has an interrupt that is generated upon shutdown/waking, you
can take advantage of that to set up an automatic re-synch.  Our Mach
platforms use the former approach run as a background daemon, and our
NetBSD platforms will probably do the same.  Hardware independent and
all that.

-brian