Subject: Re: hardware flow control on serial ports
To: None <ram@cs.arizona.edu>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/27/1995 00:30:10
>Date: Sun, 26 Feb 1995 20:07:18 -0700
>From: Achyutram Bhamidipaty <ram@cs.arizona.edu>

>This makes me think that flow control is not working correctly. But
>I'm really not sure where to look. I really dont want to hook an
>oscilliscope up to the serial port to see whats going on.
>
>I figure atleast one of the following must be true:

>	- kermit is not turning it on

I find this the most likely.  Try the following:

1) Start Kermit.
2) Dial and connect as usual.
3) Type ^\c to escape back to the local kermit
4) Type PUSH to start a subshell
5) Type stty -af /dev/tty00 to look at your serial port settings
   (replace tty00 with the appropriate TTY).  If you see -crtscts,
   then Kermit is not setting RTS/CTS flow control properly.  If you
   see ixon instead of -ixon, then you're using XON/XOFF flow control
   and YOU WILL BE HOSED if anything on the remote end of the link
   sends you a ^S character.

>	ATI 9600baud modem
>	boca 16550 serial board

Are you using a cable to connect these that connects the RTS & CTS
lines properly?

>	c-kermit 5A

5A(189) or 5A(190)?  There's a big difference.  If you're using a
C-Kermit that's not version 5A(190), then upgrade and your problems
will probably be over.

--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>       PGP 2.6.2 public key signature:
VLSI Design Engineer                  CCBF225E7D3F7ECB2C8F7ABB15D9BE7B