Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.0 slip doesn't
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG, thompson@coyote.csusm.edu>
From: Robert Dobbs <banshee@gabriella.resort.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/15/1995 19:33:58
        As a followup to the problems I described in which my i386/20
running slip would reboot roughly daily while an identical machine would
stay up for weeks at a time:

        I use a hayes esp card as my serial port.  In the process of
writing an esp native driver, I discovered an esp bug causes an interrupt
for each character received.  In my latest kernel, I have patched this bug
and enabled the extended 16550 compatibility mode.  These fixes seemed to
have resulted in a stable kernel.  My machine has been up and running slip
for >5 days with ~120meg in and ~110meg out.  I conclude that the massive
number of interrupts caused by a machine under heavy network load is somehow
responsible for the reboots I have seen.

	My patched com.c may be obtained from ftp.resort.com:/pub/netbsd
as com.c-esp; you will have to enter the ioaddress of your esp board in
place of 0x140 in the code.

-john