Subject: Re: cu on 1.0(I386)
To: None <jkreska@ftw.mot.com>
From: Andre Skarzynski <abs@itu3.sun.ac.za>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/15/1995 08:17:01
Jeff Kreska wrote :

> I have not been able to connect to any tty ports using cu with version 1.0.  I
> have added the local flag in /etc/ttys with no help.  Transcript to follow.
>
> hostname> cu -l /dev/tty01 -s 9600
> Connected.
> cu: write: Input/output error
>
> Disconnected.
>
> I have had more than one peron tell me that they have the same problem.  What
> else can I try.  It might be important to note that I can connect to the port
> with kermit and a C program that open's the dev directly.

Edit /etc/ttys, and locate the dev line where the modem resides, and add the
word 'local' to that line. Something like the following example. See man ttys
and ttyflags.

#
#       from: @(#)ttys  5.1 (Berkeley) 4/17/89
#       $Id: ttys,v 1.6.2.1 1994/08/01 17:21:13 cgd Exp $
#
# name  getty                           type    status          comments
#
console "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         pc3     off secure
ttyv0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         pc3     on secure
tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty MODEM"      vt100 on rtscts
tty01   "/usr/libexec/getty MODEM"      vt100 on rtscts local
tty02   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure
tty03   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure
tty04   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure
tty05   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure
tty06   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure
tty07   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure
ttyp0   none                            network
ttyp1   none                            network
ttyp2   none                            network

I hope this helps...

--
Andre B. Skarzynski  -- Information Technology, University of Stellenbosch --
abs@itu1.sun.ac.za   ------- Tel: +27 21 8084293 Fax: +27 21 8084102 --------