Subject: Re: NCR 53C810 based card?
To: Luke Mewburn <lm@melb.cpr.itg.telecom.com.au>
From: Mark P. Gooderum <mark@nirvana.good.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/12/1995 12:00:40
> Note: I have just obtained my ASUS SP3G; the onboard SCSI really rocks.
> ~2x faster than an AHA1542CF, ~20% faster than an Bustek VLB 445S.
> If I had enough SCSI devices, I'd buy the SC-200 as a second bus.
> I wholly recommend this board for NetBSD.

I've got this board and it works great.  I've hailed it before, interleaved
memory, EPP/ECP parallel port, 2*16550 serial ports, ISA IDE controller, and
the NCR controller, all on the motherboard.  It does cook...I saw about a
50-100% speedup in disk ops versus a 1542C and about a 30-50% increase in
memory/CPU ops with the same (DX2/66) chip, probably due to the memory
interleaving.  The chipset is Saturn II Rev. 4 (it doesn't appear to have
the PCI problems of the earlier revs).

The only glitch is that software reboots in NetBSD hang the system at the
point of the reboot.  I've been meaning to change the reset_cpu() to use
the keyboard controller instead (since CTRL-ALT-DEL works in DOS), but
haven't gotten around to it.
--
Mark