Subject: Problems with Novell NE2100
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jan-Oliver Neumann <jan@encap.Hanse.DE>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/10/1995 14:30:25
I have an old DOS box (386SX-16) with an Intel EtherExpress and my NetBSD-
machine running NetBSD/i386 1.0 (486DX-50, 16MB, ISA) with a Novell NE2100
configured at ioport 0x360, IRQ9 and DMA{ACK,CHN} 7.

When I try to ftp from the NetBSD-box I get 'le0: transmitter disabled'
messages, ip-traffic halts for a short while (the card is reset), and then
the traffic resumes. If I put something onto the NetBSD-box I get 'le0:
 OFLO' messages. Of course, throughput is lousy in the first case as the
packet is thrown away and the card is reset.

If I run the i486 under DOS, I get acceptable performance. I increased
the number of transmit-buffers in if_lereg.h, but it had no effect.

What's wrong with the lance-driver ?

Thanks, Jan-Oliver

PS: Are there any plans to enhance the if_ie -driver to support the
Intel EtherExpress 16 ?
--
Jan-Oliver Neumann                                          <jan@encap.Hanse.DE>
I like to believe that people in the long run are going to do more to