Subject: PPP doesn't hang up the line
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Terry Moore <tmm@databook.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/08/1995 20:58:08
I have installed NetBSD 1.0 from the Walnut Creek FreeBSD/NetBSD CD-rom
on two identical 486DX-100 systems.  I am using fifo-based serial boards
and PPP 2.1.1, also from the CD-Rom.  I have Practical Peripherals 28.8
modems, and am communicating modem<->NetBSD at 57K.  I have rebuilt
the kernel to include a number of additional kernel options and to adjust
a couple of IRQ settings.

I have, in my /etc/ppp/options file, among other things, the options "modem"
and "crtscts".

I have no trouble establishing the link and communicating from box to box.
I have had good luck running X apps.  Everything seems to work fine.

My problem comes when I want to tear down the link.  If I kill -TERM either
end, the link goes down, but the PPPDs go into tight loops and do not
exit until hammered with a kill -9.

My question is:  is this a known problem with this version of PPPD, or
should I investigate my setup further?

Terry Moore
Databook Inc.
tmm@databook.com