Subject: SB/16 woes
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rafal Boni <r-boni@uiuc.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/08/1995 00:19:35
[Apologies if you've seen this in the recent past... I sent out a similar query
a while back but didn't see it go out on the list...]

Having succumbed to the need to wake up my roommates with the sounds of shotgun
blasts, I recently bought a Soundblaster/16 card.  The card works under Messy-
DOG and Windoze just fine, but seems to "forget" its' configuration as soon as
I boot NetBSD.

I had the chance to play with a SB/16 previously, but it was one of the old,
jumperable cards that I borrowed from work.... The card I now have is one of
the almost-jumperless cards...

Anyway, having said that, the exact problem is this:  The card seems to forget
what its' soft-configurable settings are, and hence generates no (?) IRQs
[at least on the IRQ channel it's been assigned.]  As a result, one cannot
use the card to do anything :-(  Putting a diagnostic printf into the sbintr
routine confirms my suspicion, as nothing ever gets printed.

Here's the soft config:

	Sb/16 at 0x220, MIDI at 0x330, IRQ 5, 8-bit DMA ch. 1, 16-bit DMA ch 5

	Any info what magic phrases I need to utter appreciated...

							--rafal

| In search of the stress-strain relationship governing  |/|       Rafal Boni |
| students of mechanics... Experimentally.               |\|  r-boni@uiuc.edu |