Subject: Re: ethernet card performance and support
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@entropic.com>
From: Rafal Boni <r-boni@uiuc.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/27/1995 16:20:06
In message <199501271921.OAA14324@epiwrl.entropic.com>, you write:

-> Actually ... will there be a problem?  I was under the impression that mbufs
-> (the buffers used by the networking code) are allocated at boot time, and
-> thus would probably all be below the 16Mb line.  If that's not the case, you
-> could hack your mbuf allocator so it didn't allocate buffers above 16Mb
-> (it's harder to do this for disk controllers, since you sometimes want to
-> do DMA directly into the user's address space).

	I believe this is the case.  The folks at SCCS (?), who were advertising
	a bus-mastering ISA e-enet card for BSDi and *BSD a while back gave me
	basically this same scoop on why their cards wouldn't be a problem in
	ISA machines.

	I guess I'll find out when my NE2100 finally gets here...

							--rafal

| In search of the stress-strain relationship governing  |/|       Rafal Boni |
| students of mechanics... Experimentally.               |\|  r-boni@uiuc.edu |