Subject: Re: netscape under 1.0
To: Kevin Sullivan <ksulliva@kludge.pps.pgh.pa.us>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@entropic.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/25/1995 18:57:10
>Ken Hornstein (kenh@entropic.com) wrote:
>: This is running NetBSD 1.0 on a no-name EISA mb, VLB Mach32 w/2Mb VRAM,
>: XFree86 3.1.  I remember vague rumors about the font cache being screwy unde
>: XFree86 3.1 for Mach32 cards ... is that actually the case?
>
>I have the same thing at home, and a 486 with a Mach32 VLB at work, and
>both have the exact same problem.  Of course, Netscape also crashes
>whenever I cut and paste to it, so I use Chimera.

Chimera?  Never heard of it.  Got a pointer?

I believe the cut/paste problem is because netscape wants the R5 nls directory;
Terry Lambert mentioned on the FreeBSD mailing list that you could solve the
core dump problem by putting the R5 nls directory in your X11R6 tree.

Anyway, it's refreshing to encounter someone else with this problem - sounds
like it's definately a server problem.  Maybe it will be fixed whenever XFree86
3.1.1 comes out ....

Maybe I'll take some of Rafal Boni's suggestions and try getting Motif working
at home later, and then build Mosaic.

--Ken