Subject: swapping to a vnode device
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Phil Knaack <flipk@vorpal.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/24/1995 12:12:50
I have discovered that it's not possible to configure swapping to a vnode
device using config.new. It looks as tho a definition was started in
files.i386.newconf, but it is mostly commented out:

	#major  {vnd = 14}

Obviously, more is needed .. i changed the `config netbsd' line in
my config:

	config netbsd  root on wd0 swap on sd0 and vnd0

to:

	config netbsd  root on wd0 swap on sd0

and after config.new'ing and manually editing swapnetbsd.c to include the
vnd swap device:

	struct  swdevt swdevt[] = {
       		 { makedev(4, 1),        0,      0 },    /* sd0 */
      	 	 { makedev(14,1),        0,      0 },    /* vnd0 */
 	         { NODEV, 0, 0 }
	};

I was then able to swap to a vnode device. It seems to work perfectly, is
there any reason why it is not enabled in files.i386.newconf?

Also, the man page for vnconfig incorrectly specifies the example on how
to create a vnode swap. It says:

	           vnconfig -e /dev/vnd0c /var/swapfile swap
and should say:
	           vnconfig -e /dev/vnd0b /var/swapfile swap

am I just making too many assumptions about swapping to vnode devices?

Cheers,
Phil
--
Phil Knaack						   flipk@iastate.edu