Subject: Problems
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Alaric <reed@ENGR.ORST.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/20/1995 12:38:59
I've been trying to get NetBSD 1.0 to recognize my printer port
the default setup for building the kernel doesn't work
On bootup it never recognizes "lpt0"

The normal kernel build goes something like this:
device          lpt0    at isa? port "IO_LPT1" irq 7
I even tried explicitly stating it like:
device          lpt0    at isa? port 0x378 irq 7
but it didn't help.

It is correctly compiled into the kernel though.
There's nothing wrong with the port either, I can show you lots of
stuff I've printed from MS-DOS/WINDOWS and the bios recognizes it too.
but NetBSD just seems to ignore it. I hate havng to reboot to DOS just to
print out some text file. It also makes ghostscript kinda useless.
As far as I can tell there's no reason for it to be acting this way.

I have another question for the gurus :)

Why does the keyboard driver take my backspace key as a ^?
that's the delete key, backspace is ^H
I'm quite certain that the keyboard is fine, It sends different signals
but the keyboard driver seems to have its wires crossed.

I wouldn't mind so much but several X apps ignore environment settings.
and assume ^H for backspace.

Is there a fix?

Alaric,           | Archery: A deeply seated hatred of paper with bright
Mka Brandon Reed  |  coloured circles printed on it.
reed@engr.orst.edu|
http://www.engr.orst.edu:80/~reed