Subject: Re: NetBSD/DOS on same disk...
To: bruceg <bruceg@susq.com>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@entropic.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/20/1995 02:13:22
>Can anyone give me the Readers Digest version of how to get
>DOS ans NetBSD to boot up nicely while co-existing on the same
>disk.
>Is there a certain sequence you have to follow?

It's covered in the INSTALL document.

>I managed to get the os-bs135 boot manager working with
>
>DOS-6.2x...........1
>NetBSD-1.0.........2 # when I hit number 2 i get..
>No operating system
>
>I know it's there, I just installed it. I put it at cyl 410.
>Here's the results of my "pfdisk 0" command.
>
>geometry 1023 16 63 ( cyl heads sectors )
># ID  First(cyl)  Last(cyl)  Name	# start,   length  (sectors)
>1 6	0	    406	      DOSbi	# 63,  410193
>2 9	408	   1022	      UNIX	# 411264, 619920
        ^^^
You say above that you put it at cylinder 410, but the MBR says that it is
put at cylinder 408?  These offsets _must_ match up!  (and I am pretty sure
that this is also mentioned in the install document).

>3 0 	0	      0	       MBS	# 0, 0
>4 0	0             0			# 0, 0
>
>What ID do I use for NetBSD? I've been guessing up til now.

165 (0xA5) ... also mentioned in the install document.  (Gee, I sound like a
broken record, don't I? :-) ).

>Also, when the system ask do I overwrite the DOS partition table,
>do I answer yes, or go with the default [n]?

If you get this message, then you've partitioned your disk wrong.  When you
install NetBSD, you _must_ give the same offset to the install program that
you setup in the MS-DOS partition with pfdisk.  If this is done correctly,
you shouldn't see the above message.

--Ken